Instead, you should try to reduce the amount you drink slowly, over a few weeks. I’m not saying smoking weed all day is a healthy coping skill. But from a harm reduction standpoint, it’s much less likely to get you into trouble than alcohol, pills, or harder drugs. If you’re making mixed drinks, only use half a shot instead of a full shot, and turn it into two drinks (still count both as one combined). It’s okay to have a little drink, set it down, leave it for fifteen minutes, and come back to it later. Just don’t convince yourself that you can be a normal drinker after stressfully forcing yourself to do this a few times.
- This is especially true of heavy drinkers who are surrounded by the triggers that encourage drinking and lack the support needed to encourage change.
- There are multiple health benefits you can experience when you start drinking less alcohol.
- If you struggle to stop drinking, avoid places and situations that tempt you to drink alcohol.
- Although it is possible to taper at home, having medical supervision and assistance can ensure a successful taper.
- If you don’t experience intense withdrawal symptoms, an at-home detox may be a good option.
Sometimes, people think that if their symptoms are mild, they don’t need medical help. Unfortunately, alcohol withdrawal symptoms can worsen quickly, and they can include agitation and hallucinations that make it more difficult to seek help. For this reason, it is best to seek medical advice on whether you should taper at home or under medical observation. In alcohol detox treatment, medical providers work to safely remove alcohol from your body so that you don’t experience painful or uncomfortable withdrawal. Detox treatment usually occurs in a detox center such as a hospital or treatment facility under the supervision of medical professionals.
Avoid Places or Situations that Involve Alcohol
It allows you to manage alcohol withdrawal symptoms in the comfort of your own home with little cost. Alcohol detox isn’t easy and not everyone can do it on their own. That is why alcohol detox and alcohol withdrawal treatment is administered by medical professionals. Cutting down your alcohol intake may not be as easy as it sounds.
Gradually reducing the amount of alcohol you consume gives your body time to adjust to the changes. This can help prevent severe withdrawal symptoms and can also make it easier to maintain sobriety in the long term. By taking a gradual approach, you can learn how to manage cravings and develop healthy coping mechanisms that will support long-term recovery. When people decide to quit drinking, their first instinct may be to quit cold turkey. However, abruptly stopping alcohol consumption can be dangerous and even life-threatening for some people. This is especially true for people who have been consuming alcohol at high levels for an extended period of time.
Table of Contents
As a result, little information is available regarding the best way to taper. That said, some independent groups have stepped in, publishing sample tapering schedules to guide people trying to cut back on drinking. During this taper, you may notice you’re feeling pretty good again.
Early symptoms include headache, sweating, tremors, vomiting and difficulty concentrating. Tapering off alcohol helps some people start their recovery journeys. It can also be a good idea for people who don’t want to, or can’t, attend any type of full https://en.forexpamm.info/sober-sayings-and-sober-quotes/ detoxification program. Dr. Streem says that if your goal is to stop drinking altogether, you’re more likely to have success quitting all at once, rather than weaning off alcohol. But that advice changes if you’re living with alcohol use disorder.
Quitting cold turkey can shock your system since it has become used to functioning with alcohol. We’re here 24/7 to help you get the care you need to live life on your terms, without drugs or alcohol. Talk to our recovery specialists today and learn about our integrated treatment programs. The journey to sobriety is challenging, but with the right help and support, it’s an attainable goal. Landmark Recovery is here to provide the comprehensive, compassionate care you need to break free. We can help you move on from alcohol and begin a new chapter in your life.
- Avoid processed foods, sugary sweets, and anything else that could trigger cravings or make you feel worse.
- Whichever method you choose, be sure to take the process seriously and commit to monitoring your progress diligently.
- Because tapering can be tricky and alcohol withdrawal can be dangerous, you should never start a taper before talking to your doctor.
- If you are unsure how much alcohol is safe for you to consume, speak with a healthcare professional for guidance.
- But maybe you’re unsure about quitting completely and don’t want to hold yourself to that goal.
Essentially, tapering provides less intense withdrawal symptoms but over a longer amount of time. These symptoms may start a few hours or a few days after your last drink of alcohol. Sometimes, symptoms may be severe enough to require medical treatment at a hospital or rehabilitation facility. But some people choose to manage alcohol withdrawal themselves. Here are suggestions for how to get through alcohol withdrawal at home. Alcohol dependence and addiction are serious medical conditions.
– Don’t go through withdrawal alone.
The problem is that this can drag your taper out for several weeks or even months, depending on how slowly you’ve tapered and how much you’ve been drinking to start. I don’t think I could go through more than a couple weeks of tapering, but you do you. Alcoholism, Does A Purple Nose Indicate Alcoholism? or alcohol use disorder, is a mental health issue. You’ve been conditioning your brain to work on alcohol, and over time, its structure has physically changed. Overcoming this with sheer willpower is going to be difficult, but it can be done.
Regular exercise is another important part of self-care when you’re weaning off alcohol. Exercise can help to reduce stress, boost your mood, and improve your physical health. It can also distract you from cravings and help you to feel more energized.
In most cases, the longer you take to wean off the effects of alcohol, the less severe your withdrawal symptoms should be. However, it can be challenging to stick with a long-term tapering schedule, so you have to find the right balance for you. The support of an alcohol detox program may help you wean off alcohol more quickly and with fewer unpleasant side effects. Some detox programs also offer therapy to prepare you for addiction treatment.
Tapering off alcohol is a reasonable strategy for anyone who desires to stop drinking. A taper can be especially helpful for those who find they cannot stop drinking without experiencing negative symptoms. Following successful completion of detox, an inpatient or outpatient rehabilitation program may be recommended to allow further work toward recovery and relapse prevention. Here are some tips and strategies for how to taper off alcohol safely. Tapering can be a long process that takes weeks or even months to finish. Although it is possible to taper at home, having medical supervision and assistance can ensure a successful taper.
Keep in mind that fruit juice and kombucha may be high in sugar. Remove all alcohol from your home or ask a friend or family member to do it for you. This includes beer, wine, and liquor, as well as products that contain alcohol such as rubbing alcohol and vanilla extract.
- This includes beer, wine, and liquor, as well as products that contain alcohol such as rubbing alcohol and vanilla extract.
- You may be able to detox at home and still attend outpatient therapy or support group meetings.
- In addition to telling others about your plans, consider sharing your goals and progress on social media or online forums.
- If you’re having difficulty sticking to your goal or just want some extra guidance, consider reaching out for professional support.